Saturday, March 13, 2021

Buddhacello Batch 2020

In early December 2020, I did not plan to make a batch of my specialty limoncello-style liqueur from Buddha Hand fruit.  And I definitely didn’t plan to write about it.  I still had enough Buddhacello leftover from the 2019 batch to last me into December 2021.  And the process of making Buddhacello is pretty standard; I’ve basically been doing it the same way since I first discovered the Buddha Hand fruit in a fancy grocery store in winter 2009.  Not only is it uneventful, but I’ve also written about it before.  At least twice.

Things changed in late December 2020, when Little Z randomly texted me - with much excitement - a photo of a massive pile of Buddha Hand fruit at her market.  This was the year that she wanted to learn how to make her own supply of Buddhacello!!!  So, during my furlough week at the end of December, I trekked out to the fancy grocery store, where they still had a prominent Buddha Hand display.  I picked out the most fragrant and heaviest fruit of the lot, and brought it home with me.  (Of course, once I left the produce department, I found specialty spice mixes and other interesting ingredients, so it was not an inexpensive trip!)


Once I had my Buddha Hand, I texted Little Z through the process of picking the right liquor in which to infuse the fruit.  Really, any high proof neutral spirit would work.  I usually use grain alcohol because it extracts the flavor faster, but it takes more simple syrup to cut down to a reasonable drinking proof.  This time I used a higher end organic vodka so that I might not have to go so heavy on the simple syrup.  At 730pm on 28 December 2020, I put the whole fruit into a plastic pitcher and added a 750ml bottle of the vodka.  I had intended to walk away from it, but ended up going back a few days later to top off the vodka to ensure that the entire fruit was covered.  A few days later, Little Z chopped up her fruit, dropped it into what looked like a recycled orange juice bottle, covered the pieces with vodka, and walked away to let the alchemy of infusion occur.


About two months later, we each came to the independent conclusion that our vodka was yellow enough to get converted into Buddhacello.  I started to explain the finishing process to Little Z, which involves measurements and math, but she tapped out on the math.  We set a phone date to finish our liqueurs together. But first, I needed to clear space in my sink and Little Z needed to acquire a pasta pot to make her batch of simple syrup.


The measurements on my infused vodka were pretty simple.  After I removed the fruit from the alcohol, the liquid rose to just below the 48-ounce mark on the pitcher  So I figured it was more or less 44 ounces total.  That meant that I’d need a maximum of 44 ounces of simple syrup, which would require roughly 22 ounces of water and 2 3/4 cup white granulated sugar.  Although past batches have used all the simple syrup, my plan for this lower proof/higher quality vodka was to start by adding half the simple syrup.  After mixing well, I’d taste to see where it stood.  If it needed more simple syrup, I’d add half the remainder and repeat the mixing and tasting process.  And so on until it was good.  I could always save any leftover simple syrup for other purposes (like sweetening cocktails!)


Or at least that was the plan and process that I explained to Little Z on a phone call before our creative date.


Within the first five minutes of our creative date, Little Z confessed that she had just discovered that there was no sugar in the house.  But she still wanted to switch over to video chat so that she could watch me finish my Buddhacello.  Which was fine, because I had already done the math for my volume.  I did use almost exactly 22 ounces of water, but my sugar measurement was closer to 3 1/4 cup than 2 3/4 cup.  There was so little left in the sugar bag that it wasn’t really worth saving, and it really wouldn’t hurt the finished product if the simple syrup was a touch richer than the standard measurements.  Little Z, who has seen me cook many times, seemed a bit surprised at my laissez-faire attitude toward the sugar syrup.  By the time we had all poured drinks and virtually toasted, the sugar syrup was clear and simmering.  I poured it into a four cup tempered glass measuring cup (which, coincidentally, Little Z talked me into buying at a tag sale) to make it easier to pour and measure the syrup.  I was aiming for roughly 22 ounces of syrup in the first addition, so I poured enough to raise the liquid in the pitcher to the 60-ounce line.  I stirred thoroughly and then tasted.  Little Z knew by the look on my face that something was very wrong - it was still very strongly alcoholic tasting.  I had a gut feel that ten or eleven ounces wouldn’t turn the tide, so I added enough sugar syrup to raise the liquid in the pitcher the 80-ounce line.  I stirred vigorously and tasted.  It was good!  Rather than bore Little Z with the tedious packing process, I put a lid on the pitcher and moved it to a safe location.


After I declared my Buddhacello Batch 2020 to be good, I poured some into my Prosecco and put the dirty utensils in the sink before retiring to my living space to chat it up with Little Z and her housemate for another half hour or so.  And yes, tours of the liquor cabinets were involved.


Overall, it was a great evening, even though we weren’t creative together.  And I have faith that Little Z will make her own righteous batch in her own time.  And I really enjoyed the simple syrup in a cappuccino the following morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment